I liked having them when I was in school...I wonder if the kids enjoy it today. I've been subbing for about a month now. It's been very interesting on the "other-side." I try to remember how I felt and what I was thinking when I had a sub. I was a pretty good kid. I wasn't a behavior problem (if you don't call never doing work a behavior problem.) I only remember one particular sub in elementary school. Her name was Ms. Smith (not joking.) She seemed shy and unsure. I don't remember if we gave her a hard time or not, but I do remember how scared she seemed to me. I was nice to her...I think the fact that she was young, pretty and blonde made it better for her...we seemed to respond well to her.
So now, I'm the sub. I've pretty much stuck to elementary classrooms (K-6 so far!) I have to say, I like the older grades better...4th being my fave so far. It also helps that I know some of the teachers I've subbed for. They've also been pre-arranged.
In the training we received, they said that a positive attitude is the number one key to success as a sub. I think one more could top the list. Don't worry about doing it JUST LIKE the regular teacher does it. While I try to follow the lesson plans as closely as possible, sometimes it's difficult to teach 6th grade math, when you could barely pass the college statistics class (bare minimum for your college math requirement.) Especially when it's this "new math-estimating multiplication." What's that? Luckily, when I was subbing a 5th grade last week, they kids were in PE for an hour before the math lesson so I had time to learn this new method of long multiplication.
Subbing has really taught me some very useful skills. Learning new names has been the #1 thing I've been working on. With all the new fancy names these days "Bobby and Jane"' are not so common. Saiida, Lehae, and Mai Pa Hoa are some of my favorite.
You also learn how to choose your words. I never realized how much I said "Good job." I had to find new ways to praise kids for doing a "good job." "Super! Awesome. Well done. You did it." Those started popping up in my mind.
I've also learned to be flexible. I think that's one thing that the students and the sub learn in the same day. Things just aren't the same for them too. Think about it...they have a routine. I can usually tell how good the regular teacher is by whether or not the kids interupt me in unison and say "we don't do it that way!" So this is a "teachable moment" for most kids...not everyone is the same and it can be fun to do it a different way; it's not better or worse, just different.
I know I won't be subbing forever, but I also know that I'm enjoying this moment in my life and really having fun. Believe it or not, I'm learning some things along the way.
Sziasztok!
translation: "Hi, everyone!"
02 November 2004
Substitute Teachers
Posted by
Erin
at
5:35 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment