Sziasztok!

Sziasztok!
translation: "Hi, everyone!"


21 January 2007

The disappearance of distance


I was just on a Skype video conference with my nieces. I live in Budapest, and they live in Puyallup, Washington. Tori read her award winning poem, Aimee showed my her new dolly, and I got to hear a live performance of a minuet by Bach...all over the Internet.

I wonder if I'm missing out on the true overseas experience, by having such easy access to my family via the internet. I really don't care. We now live in a connected world. I know missionaries from ages past didn't have Skype and Internet video technology, and I can't imagine how hard it was for them. I guess it could be one of those "if you don't know what you're missing" things. I just know that I love those little girls and hate to miss anything about their lives.

Some day, there will be technology that will allow my brother to be filming my nieces live in the theater and I can be watching via satellite, or cell, or whatever, sitting at my desk in my flat.

What a (connected) world we live in now.

No comments: