Sziasztok!

Sziasztok!
translation: "Hi, everyone!"


19 September 2005

Culture shock...finally!

Since I've lived in Budapest before I didn't think I would experience culture shock quite as hard as before. ("Before was 10 days in a Hungarian hospital!) Well today was probably the closest I've come! I was on time for work. Just two metro stops away when something (in Hungarian) was announced over the speakers and everyone got off the train. I just sat there thinking "this is a popular stop." Well the controller came on the car and said "Vég allomás" which means "last stop." I was like, "what?" Something was wrong on the track. Long story short...I eventually found the "alternate transportation" after trying to call Janna several times, only to have my phone's battery die, and got to school one hour and 20 minutes after leaving home...it usually only takes 40 minutes max!

Needless to say, I didn't even make it to my first class. Zsuzsi, that class' form teacher was super and stepped in and gave them a task. I'll find out tomorrow what that task was. From what it sounded like, that kind of thing happens and Hungarians are just used to it. Several of the students were late today for the same reason. Kati, another English teacher was actually on the train that broke down to cause the back up. She had a great story to tell of walking from the train over the tracks to get back to the station.

So, I made it through the rest of the day with no excitement (12e class is a story for another time!)...punks! But I still love them. :-)

No comments: